The Annual Andouille Cook-Off Contest will take place at the St. John the Baptist Parish Andouille Festival on Saturday, October 15, 2016. The Contest rules are as follows:
1. BOOTH SPACE: Teams will be allowed to set-up in a 10x10 space in the “Gumbo Village” beginning at 9 a.m. Saturday, October 15. Numbers will be assigned to each team as entry fee is collected. All teams must provide their own cooking equipment i.e. tables, chairs, tent, utensils, sanitation station (hand sanitizer/paper towels) and cooking stove/fuel- “Coleman-type” propane or white gas. No ground fires will be allowed. No electricity will be provided. Dish must be cooked in the open (i.e. no motor homes, closed tents, etc.)
2. GUMBO: All types of gumbo may be prepared with Andouille as the main ingredient. Dish is to be prepared on-site from scratch and all ingredients must be added on site and in raw form, however may be chopped and cut ahead of time. All ingredients will be inspected upon check-in by the cook-off coordinator. The cook-off coordinator will continue to inspect each booth until the judging is complete. Each dish must serve 50 (4) oz. portions. Rice is not required.
3. CHECK-IN: Your team may begin to set up for 9:00 a.m. on Saturday, October 15th in their assigned location. Cooking will begin upon completion of set up and after the head cook has reported to the cook-off coordinator. Judging cups will be assigned to each team by the cook off coordinator.
4. JUDGING: The judging cup must be delivered to the Lagniappe Stage adjacent to the cooking village between 4:45 p.m. and 5:00 p.m. The head cook is responsible for safeguarding the judging cup and matching number ticket. A matching number ticket must be presented to claim the winning dish. Judging will be done with a (3) judge system. No one has knowledge of the winning container numbers until they will be announced on the Lagniappe stage. (ONLY ONE JUDGING CUP CAN BE TURNED IN PER TEAM)
Judges will rate each dish on the following:
Taste-should taste good and be pleasing to the palate.
Aftertaste-should leave a pleasant taste after swallowing.
Aroma- dish should smell appetizing
Appearance- dish should look appetizing
Consistency- are ingredients chopped appropriately does the dish have a good texture
5. PRIZES: There will be (4) awards presented on the Lagniappe Stage for the following:
6. The Andouille Festival Cook-Off Committee will provide each team with serving cups, spoons, napkins and trash bags/cans for the people’s choice segment of the competition.
To enter the contest, please complete and submit this application along with the $10.00 entry fee to the Department of Economic Development by Friday October 14th. Each team will receive 2 free admission bracelets and 1 parking pass for Saturday, Oct. 15th.
Team Name: ______________________
Telephone Number: ___________ E-Mail: ______________
The undersigned shall indemnify, defend and hold harmless the Andouille Festival and any of its directors, officers, employees, agents, and representatives from and against any and all liability, loss, cost, causes of actions, demands, attorney’s fees, expenses, claims, suits and judgments of whatsoever kind and character, including without limitation, all possible costs of responding to demands, in whatever form that may take, with respect to any claim made against the Andouille Festival that arises solely from an act, failure or omission on the part of the undersigned or any of its directors, officers, employees, agents and representatives in carrying out of the terms of this agreement.